5 Budget-Friendly Romantic Getaways in the Caribbean
Although you may be dreaming about getting away with your honey for a few days, soaking up the rays on some sun-drenched shore while sipping Mai Tais and taking in the beautiful vistas of palm trees and cerulean surf, the unfortunate truth of the matter is that vacationing on some exotic isle might be more than a little outside your price range. And yet, with a little leg work you can find discounted rates on flights, hotels, and transportation, as well as all-inclusive packages that will help you to save some money and still plan the romantic getaway that you and your partner so desperately need. And the Caribbean can deliver with all kinds of bargains for your perusal. Here are just a few budget-friendly options that should meet all of your needs.
- Cruises. No matter where you want to go in the Caribbean or for how long, you simply can’t beat the amenities offered by a cruise ship, especially for the price. This all-inclusive form of travel offers you food, lodgings, and transportation for one price and all in one place. And often you can find package deals that include airfare. This means that you and your sweetheart can pay one low price up-front and enjoy all the perks of a Caribbean vacation, including extensive ocean views! Although excursion packages are extra, you can explore your ports of call for free. And don’t forget that there are cruise lines out there that cater to couples rather than families; some are even adults-only, which means plenty of relaxing days by the pool without getting splashed by junior.
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. This east-coast city boasts everything you might want from a Caribbean vacation, including some of the best beaches the island has to offer. For the sporting couple there are plenty of golf courses available, and with an incredible 35,000 hotel rooms dotting the city, you can see why it’s easy to find affordable accommodations – they have something for everyone at every budget. With incredible food and plenty of opportunities to find romance, not to mention ongoing growth and development, this could be just the island paradise you and your honey are looking for, and with vacation packages at just over $1,000 per person, including airfare (depending on where you’re flying from), it might actually be doable.
- Riviera Maya. Located just south of the Yucatan Peninsula on the coast of Mexico, you’ll get the white-sand beaches and crystal clear waters you’re craving without the high prices and drunken college coeds that tend to be part and parcel of neighboring Cancun. Since this area is comprised of a fairly long stretch of coastline (about 75 miles), you can either choose to stay in secluded resorts or visit cities like Playa del Carmen and Puerto Aventuras. Either way, you can find all-inclusive vacation packages starting around $700 per person for 3-4 nights.
- Puerto Vallarta. Although this has become something of a tourist hotspot on the Mexican Caribbean coastline, the charm of the old town has not completely given way to modern incursion. During your stay you’ll no doubt enjoy strolling along the Oceanside boardwalk, and the fact that nearly everyone speaks English doesn’t hurt, either. Plus, the beaches, waterfalls, jungle, and other natural attractions are sure to please. And with a budget of about $600 per person you can expect to secure a 5-night stay with airfare included.
- St. Lucia. Any Caribbean island that starts with “Saint” is bound to set your financial radar to pinging, but there are ways to get your Lesser Antilles vacation at less cost. For example, you could stay at an all-inclusive resort like the Coco Palms in Rodney Bay Village. This boutique establishment offers rooms as low as under $100 per night, although airfare would be separate in this instance. However, you can enjoy stunning beaches and views of the Piton Mountains as you tool around the island, as well as entertainment from jazz performers and even a trip to the local rum distillery, making for a one-of-a-kind trip that you and your honey will never forget.